Mafia Wars is a text and picture-based game on Facebook, where you climb the crime ladder by growing your mafia, completing missions and fighting against other families. The game is set in New York, but players can travel between New York to Cuba, Bangkok, Moscow and Las Vegas (coming later in 2010) to do more missions and make more money.
If you're new to the game, these six tips that will help you go from hired thug to godfather, sending your rivals to sleep with the fishes along the way.
1) Chose your character class wisely. When the game begins, you'll create and character and then must select one of three character classes. The Mogul class receives money from properties every 54 minutes instead of the usual 60, Manic class gets an energy recharge every three minutes instead of five minutes (like the other two character classes), and Fearless class receives a health recharge every three minutes instead of every five minutes.
2) Don't bother depositing your money in the bank if you are below level 50. The reason for this is the most you stand to lose in a fight in $100,000. The "laundering fee" for depositing money is 10% which means you are paying more to keep your money in the bank that you actually stand losing it in a fight.
3) Buy properties in the blocks of 10 to save money since properties go up in cost each time you buy. Some properties go up faster than other and the buildings go up faster than the lots.
4) Loot items are items that can't be bought but are gained by doing certain jobs. The jobs that have loot items associated with them are denoted with a special loot icon.
5) Each level you go up you'll earn skill points. You can use the skill points to increase your defense, energy, etc. Use all your skill points to increase your energy until around level 200 regardless of what character class you chose -- increasing your energy allows you to complete more jobs and level up faster.
6) Send your mafia family energy packs and ask them to do the same for you. Then when you use all your energy and can't do any more jobs, you should then use your energy pack, which increases your energy by 25% so you are able to do more jobs. If your are close to leveling up, don't use your energy pack until after you level up. When you level up, your energy is automatically replenished, and the energy pack will be wasted.
Have any more killer Mafia Wars leveling tips? Share the wealth!
Mafia Wars is one of our Best of '09 picks: find out why >
More Mafia Wars cheats, tips and news >